Friday, March 23, 2012

More Pictures of Cool Toys

These are some of the vehicles and units Tom Harris and I put together for Mars Needs Steam at Cold Wars. the game did not come off due to some logistical glitches, but Tom did some photos anyway, which is a switch -- how many times have we had a game but no useable photos? Now we have photos but no game.

This first guy is a lightning cannon towed by a twin-boiler steam lorry with generator. The gun started life as a Paroom Station smoke launcher but I added the long central barrel and the coil to give it a more electircal look. The generator truck was fron another steampunk movie. I added smokestacks to the front and turned the three tanks of liquid to generators by adding those big insulated things on top. I think it ended up a nice combination piece. It's currently manned by Fenian gunners but I have a Paroom Station gun crew of smoke stalkers in preparation to provide the permanent crew.

Here is a new German combat walker supporting some Venusian schutztruppen with an aerial steam launch in the background. Tom Harris did this walker using the same original model I used for the Belgian walker I showed a couple weeks back but did a lot more work on it -- basically disassembling it and reassembling it into a completely different vehicle. The legs are the same, of course.



More models from Paroom Station, these are Japanese mechanical walking suits. I thought about using them as boiller suits, but they're just a big big for that so we're using them as very small armored walkers. I am still "interviewing" several white metal models to see which I will cast in the role of boiler suits, although I think I'm pretty close to having an answer.



Fell beasties play a part in the game as well. On the right is a Knoe Shoshu, usually found lurking near swamps and canals. Tom Harris modeled that himself. On the left is its intended victim, a geisha from a Japanese hunting party, also painted by Tom. A hunting party has three hunters with hunting rifles and two "attendants" with revolvers. That lets you get creative with the figures. European aristocratic parties, of course, often include a butler as an attendant, and a geisha for the Japanese was a no-brainer.

I'll post more pictures as we have them. Our next big game will be at Little Wars in the Chicago area, April 27-29.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. I wish the pictures were a little bigger - I can't see the details of all the vehicular goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well. They came through Photobucket, but don't know if that has anything to do with the resolution issue. When I tried makiing them bigger they grained up, so you couldn't really see much more. I'll see if I can get some better copies and if so I'll replace them in the blog entry.

      Delete
  2. Looks very Nice !
    Is it possible to help in the tests with Mars Needs Steam?
    -Galdarbjelke

    ReplyDelete