Monday, May 14, 2012

Space 1889 Novel to be Published by Baen Books

Yesterday I promised you some big news and here it is.

I told you several months ago that Baen Books was publishing my novel How Dark The World Becomes. When they contracted for that book they asked if I had anything else for them to look at. I did: The Forever Engine, a Space: 1889 novel. I sent it off, we've talked several times since then, and Friday I signed the contracts and dropped them in the mail. A Space: 1889 novel will see print in the near future from one of the top science fiction publishers.

I don't have a release date yet. I'm working on some rewrites and once those are locked down to everyone's satisfaction Baen will come up with a date. But in the mean time this is very exciting stuff for me.

The novel actually takes place in 1888 and some of the events and characters from The Forever Engine appear as background incidents and minor characters in one (so far) of the Space: 1889 and Beyond stories. But it's not a prequill or a lead-in to other stories. It's a great big story which stands all on its own, and deals with nothing less than the fundamental fabric of the universe.

I can't tell you much more about it now. As we get closer I'll lay some groundwork, but right now publication is well over a year away, so everyne gets to work on refining the virtue of patience.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Make sure you post up when you get a street date for the Book so we can get it.

    ColKG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colonel, and you can count on regular updates as to availability. The lead time on hard books is very long, but one of the many good things about Baen is you can generally purchase an electronic Advanced Reading Copy (eARC) several month ahead of formal publication -- for those of you with ebook capability, and since that is at least a year away, I'm pretty sure that will include just about everyone by then.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Thats wonderful news

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is excellent news, while I have no interest in eBooks I'm all over an actual print novel. That's fantastic - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Tim. Like you I was not much interested in eBooks until I received a Kindle as a gift. All of my previou big arguments about e-readers had to do with ease and portability, and the Kindle really solved those, as I bet the iPad does as well for folks who use that. I'll tell you, it's great to be able to carry a hundred or so books with you when you travel. So maybe you'll come around eventually. In the mean time, you'll have The Forever Engine. :^)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your great news, Frank! It sounds like a very interesting story! :)

    --Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I'm working on a final rewrite now and I'll try to keep everyone up to date as to its status.

      Delete
  5. getting your website the growing and interesting to read. I have much to learn from you. thank you
    ហ្គេម​ SLOT ONLINE

    ReplyDelete